Most of us imagine that our
lives will change because of one big moment. Maybe it will be the day we get
married, retire, land our dream job, or finally move to a new city. We picture
life changing in dramatic ways, almost like the turning point in a movie.
One thing I've noticed after
doing readings and talking with people over the years is that life usually doesn't
work that way. More often than not, our lives change because of the small
decisions we almost don't make.
It's deciding to take one
class, applying for a job you aren't sure you'll get, accepting an invitation
you almost declined, taking a short walk after dinner, or choosing patience
instead of irritation. None of those moments feel life-changing at the time
because they seem so ordinary. But little by little, those ordinary choices
begin to add up.
Looking back, many people
can point to one decision that changed everything. A conversation led to a new
career. A hobby introduced them to lifelong friends. A simple act of kindness
repaired a relationship. One healthy habit became the beginning of a healthier
life.
I've seen this in my own
life, too. I always wanted to write a book, but for the longest time it felt
overwhelming. How do you write an entire book? One day I finally told myself, "I'm
not going to worry about the whole book. I'm just going to write one
page." Then one page became another, and before I knew it, I had finished
my first book. If someone had told me back then that one day I'd have more than
65 books published, I would have thought they were crazy! But one page? I could
write one page.
The interesting part is that
none of those moments seemed especially important when they happened. They were
just another ordinary day until years later, when it became clear that one
small decision had sent life in a completely different direction.
I actually find that
encouraging because I think we spend far too much time waiting for the
"big" moments to come along. We wait for the perfect opportunity, the
perfect plan, or the perfect time to begin. Meanwhile, every single day gives
us another chance to take one small step in the direction we want to go.
You don't have to change
your entire life this week. Most of us couldn't even if we wanted to. But we
can all choose one thing. We can make one phone call, read one chapter, take
one walk, save a few dollars, reach out to an old friend, or finally start
something we've been putting off.
Those choices may not seem
impressive today, but over time they can lead us places we never expected.
Sometimes the biggest changes in our lives don't begin with giant leaps…they
begin with one small decision. So maybe today isn't about changing your whole
life; maybe it's just about deciding what your one small step will be.

No comments:
New comments are not allowed.